- For the song, see Nothing But the Best (song).
Nothing But the Best is a compilation album by Frank Sinatra that contains hits from his work with Reprise Records. Released in 2008, the album is Sinatra's second single-disc collection of songs he recorded under Reprise; the first being 1991's Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years.
Notable tracks[edit | edit source]
This is the first compilation album to feature the extended version of "Strangers in the Night" that's fade contains more of Sinatra's scat sounds that were originally cut. Since Nothing But the Best was a Reprise compilation album, "Come Fly with Me" wasn't the famous original version rather a live performance from the 1966 album, Sinatra at the Sands.
The special edition of the album featured the tracks of 12 Songs of Christmas, a Reprise album Sinatra recorded alongside Bing Crosby and Fred Waring. Other editions of the album featured one (or both) of two bonus tracks: "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down (And Write Myself a Letter)" and "Body and Soul." The latter of which was previously unreleased. There was also a special edition that featured a DVD featuring the the tracks listed below.
Track listings[edit | edit source]
- "Come Fly with Me" (Sammy Cahn, Jimmy Van Heusen) - 3:14 – (originally from Sinatra at the Sands)
- "The Best is Yet to Come" (Cy Coleman, Carolyn Leigh) - 2:56 – (originally from It Might as Well Be Swing)
- "The Way You Look Tonight" (Jerome Kern, Dorothy Fields) - 3:22 – (originally from Sinatra Sings Days of Wine and Roses, Moon River, and Other Academy Award Winners)
- "Luck Be a Lady" (Frank Loesser) - 5:15 – (originally from My Kind of Broadway)
- "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) - 3:00 – (originally from The Concert Sinatra)
- "The Good Life" (Sacha Distel, Jack Reardon) - 2:27 – (originally from It Might as Well Be Swing)
- "The Girl from Ipanema" (Antonio Carlos Jobim, Norman Gimbel, Vinícius de Moraes) - 3:14 – (originally from Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim)
- "Fly Me to the Moon (In Other Words)" (Bart Howard) - 2:28 – (originally from It Might as Well Be Swing)
- "Summer Wind" (Heinz Meier, Hans Bradtke, Johnny Mercer) - 2:55 – (originally from Strangers in the Night)
- "Strangers in the Night" (Bert Kaempfert, Charles Singleton, Eddie Snyder) - 2:45 – (originally from Strangers in the Night)
- "Call Me Irresponsible" (Cahn, Van Heusen) - 2:56 – (originally from Sinatra's Sinatra)
- "Somethin' Stupid" [With Nancy Sinatra] (Carson Parks) - 2:40 – (originally from The World We Knew)
- "My Kind of Town (Chicago Is)" (Cahn, Van Heusen) - 3:11 – (originally from Sinatra '65: The Singer Today)
- "It Was a Very Good Year" (Ervin Drake) - 4:27 – (originally from September of My Years)
- "That's Life" (Kelly Gordon, Dean Kay) - 3:07 – (originally from That's Life)
- "Moonlight Serenade" (Glenn Miller, Mitchell Parish) - 3:28 – (originally from Moonlight Sinatra)
- "Nothing But the Best" (Johnny Rotella) - 3:00 – (originally from Sinatra and Swingin' Brass)
- "Drinking Again" (Johnny Mercer, Doris Tauber) - 3:15 – (originally from Sinatra & Company)
- "All My Tomorrows" (Cahn, Van Heusen) - 4:35 – (originally from My Way)
- "My Way" (Paul Anka, Claude François, Jacques Revaux, Gilles Thibault) - 4:36 – (originally from My Way)
- "Theme from New York, New York" (Fred Ebb, John Kander) - 3:25 – (originally from Trilogy: Past Present Future)
- Bonus Tracks
- "Body and Soul" [Previously unissued] (Frank Eyton, Johnny Green, Edward Heyman, Robert Sour) - 4:20
- "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter" (Fred E. Ahlert, Joe Young) – (originally from Sinatra-Basie: An Historic Musical First)
DVD tracks[edit | edit source]
- "Introduction by Princess Grace of Monaco"
- "You Make Me Feel So Young"
- "Pennies from Heaven"
- "I've Got You Under My Skin"
- "The Lady Is a Tramp"
- "I Get Along Without You Very Well (Except Sometimes)"
- "Didn't We?"
- "One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)"
- "I Will Drink the Wine"
- "I Have Dreamed"
- "My Kind of Town"
- "My Way"