Point of No Return is the final studio album Frank Sinatra recorded for Capitol Records. It is his twenty-seventh studio album. Released in 1962, Sinatra had already begun his recordings for his self-founded recording label, Reprise.
Sinatra, to fulfill his contract, only took a two-day session in September 1961 to record and finish up his work at Capitol with this album.
Track listing Edit
- "(Ah, the Apple Trees) When the World Was Young" (Johnny Mercer, M. Philippe-Gerard, Angele Marie T. Vannier) - 3:48
- "I'll Remember April" (Don Raye, Gene de Paul, Patricia Johnston) - 2:50
- "September Song" (Kurt Weill, Maxwell Anderson) - 4:21
- "A Million Dreams Ago" (Lew Quadling, Eddie Howard, Dick Jurgens) - 2:41
- "I'll See You Again" (Nöel Coward) - 2:44
- "There Will Never Be Another You" (Mack Gordon, Harry Warren) - 3:09
- "Somewhere Along the Way" (Kurt Adams, Sammy Gallop) - 3:01
- "It's a Blue World" (Bob Wright, Chet Forrest) - 2:49
- "These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You)" (Jack Strachey, Harry Link, Holt Marvell) - 3:59
- "As Time Goes By" (Herman Hupfeld) - 3:17
- "I'll Be Seeing You" (Sammy Fain, Irving Kahal) - 2:47
- "Memories of You" (Eubie Blake, Andy Razaf) - 3:53
- Cd re-release bonus tracks:
- "Day In, Day Out" (Rube Bloom, Mercer) - 3:19
- "Don't Make a Beggar of Me" (Al Sherman) - 3:05
- "Lean Baby" (Billy May, Roy Alfred) - 2:35
- "I'm Walking Behind You" (Billy Reid) - 2:57
Allmusic gave the album an average score of three out of five stars. Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic recalled on the album saying "though the Voice gave a more heartfelt, dedicated performance than expected, the project was rushed along, necessitating the use of a ghost-arranger, Heine Beau, for several tracks." The central issue with Point of No Return is the standing argument that "Sinatra was no longer interested in giving his record label first-rate material, preferring to save that for his new label, Reprise."
Point of No Return peaked at #19 on the Billboard 200 charts of 1962.
|Axel Stordahl||Arranger, Conductor|
|Angele Marie T. Vannier||Composer|
|Pete Welding||Liner Notes|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://sinatrafamily.com/single-list/
- ↑ Allmusic review
- ↑ http://www.allmusic.com/album/point-of-no-return-r26325/charts-awards