Swing Along with Me (retitled Sinatra Swings) is a 1961 studio album album; Frank Sinatra's second for his self-founded label, Reprise Records and his twenty-ninth studio album all together. The album was later renamed to be simply Sinatra Swings due to legal trouble with Capitol Records.
Legal Issues[edit | edit source]
Sinatra's leave really weakened and angered Capitol Records. Caspitol then sued Reprise as the album's name was similar to one of Sinatra's last Capitol albums (one that was competing with it at that time) Come Swing with Me!. A court order was eventually granted, giving Capitol the right to change the name of the album. And so, Swing Along with Me, just Sinatra's second work with his label, Reprise, was to be renamed and reissued with the new name, "Sinatra Swings"
Track listing[edit | edit source]
- "Falling in Love with Love" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 1:49
- "The Curse of an Aching Heart" (Henry Fink, Al Piantadosi) – 2:06
- "Don't Cry, Joe (Let Her Go, Let Her Go, Let Her Go)" (Joe Marsala) – 3:05
- "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone" (Sidney Clare, Sam H. Stept) – 2:56
- "Love Walked In" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) – 2:19
- "Granada" (Dorothy Dodd, Agustín Lara) – 3:38
- "I Never Knew" (Ted Fio Rito, Gus Kahn) – 2:14
- "Don't Be That Way" (Benny Goodman, Mitchell Parish, Edgar Sampson) – 2:41
- "Moonlight on the Ganges" (Sherman Myers, Chester Wallace) – 3:18
- "It's a Wonderful World" (Harold Adamson, Jan Savitt, Johnny Watson) – 2:17
- "Have You Met Miss Jones?" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 2:30
- "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You" (James Cavanaugh, Russ Morgan, Larry Stock) – 4:09
Singles[edit | edit source]
In 1961, both "Granada" and "The Curse of an Aching Heart" were released as a single with each other. This was Sinatra's second single to be released under Reprise Records.
Reception[edit | edit source]
Swing Along with Me was given mostly mixed reviews, criticized for its several similarities to Come Swing with Me. The album received a score of 3½ out of 5 by Allmusic.
Swing Along with Me peaked at #6 on the Billboard 200 charts.
Personnel[edit | edit source]
|Billy May||Arranger, Conductor|
|Merle Shore||Art Direction|
References[edit | edit source]
- Allmusic review
- Andrew Male Mojo, January 2010, Issue 194.
- "Sinatra Swings One More Time". Billboard Music Week (Cincinnati, Ohio): p. 2. 7 August 1961.